Thursday 30 March 2017

Marketing using Instagram videos with Captions

I have been creating daily instagram videos and I’ve started to be concerned that many people will not watch them because you have to have sound and often we don’t have then when looking at instagram.

A few recent Gary Vaynerchuck instagram videos had captions on them and I found myself watching the video and following along by reading the captions. I suspect the ‘view figures’ for the video did not increase as a result, but my engagement with his content did, and that is really what counts.

So how can someone without the resources of Gary V do a similar thing?

Here’s my initial experiment.
  • I upload the video into Trint
  • Tidy the automated transcription
  • export as a srtfile
  • upload my video from my phone to my computer
  • create a camtasia project
  • set the Project settings canvas size to 1080 by 1080
  • amend the caption font size to about 80-90
  • import the srt file as captions
  • export video to mp4
  • use buffer to share on instagram and facebook
And voila - a ‘watchable’ instagram video without having to have sound and without needing resources on the level of Gary V.

I will iterate forward from this to streamline my process.

Oh - I had one srt file that Camtasia refused to import, so I used smisrt.com/en to conver the file to smi which Camtasia did import. I don’t know if this was an issue with Trint or Camtasia - but this is the workaround I used.

All told this probably takes about 20 minutes for a 1 minute instgram video, but I think the engagement increase will go up and that will make this worthwhile. Also I have a transcript that I can repurpose later.

No comments:

Post a Comment